Guy's and St Thomas' medical psychotherapy
Medical Psychotherapists offer a psychological service for Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals within the setting of the Diabetes and Endocrine Day Centre at St Thomas’ Hospital.
Psychological and emotional factors are known to affect all aspects of a person’s self- care, and so can affect how an individual manages to take care of their diabetes. A range of psychological difficulties may arise in people with diabetes, from coping with diagnosis, to anxiety, depression, or eating disorders.
The aim of psychotherapy is to improve psychological and physical well-being, and to equip individuals with the tools to continue to make changes after therapy ends.
Who Is the Service For?
The service is offered to people with type 1 diabetes who are under the care of the Diabetes and Endocrine Day Centres at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals.
- Psychotherapy / psychological assessment
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy; short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy, usually of between 12-24 sessions
- Group Intervention; the Psychological Support Group for People with Type 1 Diabetes offers a forum to explore the emotional / psychological aspects of living with type 1 diabetes. The group is open to self-referral. For information please contact Stephanie Singham / Carolyn Nield, Medical Psychotherapists.
- Consultation and advisory service for other professionals within diabetes care
- Liaison with other services, and referral on to other appropriate services where required
Contacting the Service
The service is based in the Diabetes and Endocrine Day Centre at St Thomas’ Hospital.
Referrals are accepted from healthcare professionals within the Diabetes and Endocrine Day Centres based at Guy's and St Thomas’ Hospitals. Written referral is preferred.
People who are interested in being referred to the service should discuss this with your doctor or nurse, or another healthcare professional. Alternatively, for further information about the services offered, or advice about referral please email Stephanie Singham.
Post: Medical Psychotherapists
3rd Floor Lambeth Wing
Diabetes and Endocrinology Day Centre
St Thomas’ Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7EH